The TC Returns from the RR, and a Tragedy Occurs

For many years, my grandparents used to go on an annual migration which my grandfather referred to as “taking the TT on the RR.” The “TT” was their travel trailer (camper) and the “RR” was the “relative route,” a journey from Florida to Michigan that included stops with many relatives along the way. At the end of the summer they’d do the trip in reverse order. When my husband and I were in Georgia, we even got to be on the RR one year.

It occurred to me this past week that I now have an RR of my own. Sadly, I don’t own a camper (although it is one of my life’s ambitions) so instead of a TT I’ve got a TC—Toyota Camry. The TC and I visited quite a few relatives in Tennessee. I saw cousins in Memphis, and also my daughter and son-in-law. I visited another cousin in Murfreesboro, and then my parents and aunt in Crossville. I missed seeing my other cousin in the Nashville area—but I met up with his parents (my aunt and uncle) on my way to Memphis yesterday. And no—we’re not originally from Tennessee. We all started off in Detroit.

Sunday morning (yesterday) a massive storm moved through Tennessee after having done a lot of damage in Texas. I loaded my car in pouring rain and driving wind. However, by the time I actually left, the worst was over. Before I was even twenty minutes down the road, I was driving in sunshine, though it was still very windy.

On the far side of Nashville I met up with my aunt and uncle for an early lunch. It was so good to see them and visit with them for a little while. I walked back to my car in balmy 73° weather. By the time I arrived in Memphis less than three hours later, it was in the 40s!

I spent the rest of the afternoon with Mary and Jordan. Jordan made us omelets for supper and afterward Mary put a great deal of effort into starting a fire in their fireplace. The problem was that the few pieces of wood they had were wet. Between the two of them, they finally got a fire going and even roasted marshmallows over it.

This morning got off to a chilly start. I had a nice big mug of tea at Mary’s before I got on the road. The temperature was in the 40s when I left Memphis, but by the time I reached Texas this afternoon, it was in the 80s. Crazy weather!

Half an hour after pulling into my own driveway, I had to leave again to take Jasper to a birthday party. While he partied in the restaurant, I sat in the car and was able to catch up on some reading that I was behind on.

Now I just have a zillion things to do before everybody gets here for Easter . . .

And I can’t write about today without mentioning the tragedy of the cathedral of Notre Dame burning in Paris. I went to Notre Dame several times when I was in France for the summer of 1980. It makes me sick to think of that majestic landmark on fire. Every time I see someone post a photo of it, it makes me sad all over again. So I’ll leave you with a photo of the cathedral as it was:

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s