A Shopping Interview Meeting Day

Today was a rather full day by my standards, which admittedly are pretty low. I got up early (well, earlier than I have been) and went grocery shopping. When I returned, I gulped down some breakfast, waited for Lucy and Jasper to haul the dog back from the neighbor’s yard (again) and then took off for the Faire site with Lucy.

I have tried several times to get back over there to interview the Faire owner, but have had to cancel time and again, so I decided today was going to be the day. I messaged Sir Dustin and even though I hadn’t heard back, I decided to go for it. I also decided to try the “back” way of going to the Faire. A couple of people have told me it is shorter than my preferred way, so I was willing to try it.

It was a beautiful drive, and it may technically be a few less miles, but it doesn’t save any time because the speed limit is lower the whole way. So it really is a matter of preference, I guess.

At this time of year the Faire grounds look shaggy and overgrown. It was sad to see the big oak tree in pieces and dead after being struck by lightning several weeks ago. I actually had another person to interview in addition to Dustin, and he was there to greet us. While he went to get into garb, Lucy and I set up my new tripod and found it a bit of a challenge at first. I really should have figured it all out ahead of time! I also heard from Dustin that he had jury duty at 1:00 so he wouldn’t have much time to talk.

So I interviewed Joe until Dustin got there, and until my feet were thoroughly bitten by fire ants. I found it a little hard to concentrate because the knee-high grass was crawling with wasps and I’m not a big fan of wasps. I think Ogden Nash had it right:

The Wasp
The wasp and all his numerous family
I look upon as a major calamily
He throws open his nest with prodigality
But I distrust his waspitality.

I knew Dustin was on a tight schedule, so we jumped right into three short interviews once he arrived. Then a lot of talking happened, which was very interesting and entertaining, but I’m pretty sure that someone was late for jury duty!

After that I finished up with Joe and by then it was well after lunchtime and very hot (all of this took place outdoors). Also, all the time outside triggered an allergic reaction which made the rest of the day kind of miserable. Lucy and I had lunch on the way home and I couldn’t stop sneezing!

At home I reveled in the air conditioning and lay down for a few minutes before tackling my critique tasks, which I finished just in time to go to my critique group meeting.

I am so thankful for my critique partners and their eagle eyes. They are helping me to become a better writer. After our critique group meeting, we had our regular writers’ group meeting, which was excellent and inspiring. Right now, I think I need all the inspiration I can get!

I also need to take some allergy meds. Apparently it’s in my best interest to stay indoors until fall!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s